Monday, April 25, 2016

Entomology 115


Hello, my name is Lucy Koch. I am a junior English and Ethnic Studies double major with minors in History, Business and African American Studies. While Entomology doesn’t exactly have a home in any of those categories, and while I did take it for my ACE science credit, I have found it to be much more interesting that I would have assumed. Personally, I found caring for the insects to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the class. When I received my cockroach I was admittedly terrified, but after naming him and feeding him strawberries on a weekly basis, I realized cockroach care wasn’t too difficult. The more interesting insect assignment was the care of the Tobacco Hornworm solely because it was intriguing to see the different stages of metamorphosis physically take place. I took the lab while simultaneously taking the online course and I think learning the two together was extremely helpful, especially when it came to taking exams. Overall, my experience with both ENTO 115 & 116 has been very positive and while I didn’t expect to get much out of this course, and while I’m unsure of how I’ll definitively use what I’ve learned in the future, I do have a new appreciation and understanding of insects and their purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment