Friday, April 29, 2016

I would like to take this opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings about my experience this semester in Entomology. For one, this class was not something I was originally very interested in and looked at it more as a chore. I was pleasantly surprised how much I actually liked learning about insects. There were so many fascinating things we learned this semester. One of my favorite topics was the different systems inside of insects. Many of their systems are actually pretty similar to that of humans but they also have many differences. The fact that insects have three guts for example and can have multiple hearts was pretty cool to learn about.

Right now I am currently in Teachers College, on my way to hopefully become an elementary school teacher. I can use the material and knowledge I have gained to educate my future students. We should all really take the chance to learn more about insects because they are everywhere around us. Taking the ENTO lab along with this course really helped me to also become more comfortable handling and dealing with insects. At the beginning of the semester, I refused to touch any of the insects that we interacted with. By the end of the semester, I had no problems picking up and handling the insects and preparing my insect collection for the end of the year. While there are still many insects I have no desire to touch, my knowledge and experience with insects has helped me to better understand these small animals. I would highly recommend taking this course as well as the lab to any student at UNL. Like I said earlier, I had no desire or prior knowledge to entomology. But now that I have taken a semester to learn more, I have found how insects impact our lives and how important and fascinating they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment