Friday, February 23, 2018


      Hi everyone, my name is Emily Robinson! I am a freshman and majoring in Elementary Education! Ever since I was little I have always loved being outdoors. Back then I had my own insect kit that came with a net, microscope and an insect cage and I would go outside and collect my own insects. I would make a nice place for them with grass, leaves, sticks and watch them under my microscope until I released them back outside. Still today I think insects are very interesting to observe and important to learn about.

      Before taking this class I never knew how many different kinds of insects there were! It's so interesting to me to see how they are all categorized and how a certain insect order can have so many families that go along with that order. Not only that, but all the different ways you can distinguish between insects. For example the butterflies, I have always been interested in butterflies but I never knew that there are characteristics that can help you distinguish between the different butterfly families. For instance, my favorite is Pieridae because they have a beautiful white or orange color with tiny little black dots on their wings. Now whenever I see a butterfly I will be trying to guess what family it belongs to! This class has really opened my eyes to how many insects we have and their importance. I have already learned so much that I never knew before and I cannot wait to keep learning more!

No comments:

Post a Comment