Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Hello all!

My name is Hanna and I am a junior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. My area of study is Elementary Education with an endorsement in ELL. After graduation, I hope to teach in the Lincoln Public Schools system and then continue on to get my masters in Educational Psychology. I decided to take Entomology to cover an ACE class, however, I have found myself really enjoying what I am learning.

Coming into this class, I saw bugs as a nuisance. I didn't have much of an appreciation for them and what they do for our society and ecosystem. What I thought to be tiny little bugs actually do a lot. I have enjoyed learning about the many different ways we classify insects and how that can influence their taxonomical order. From maggot therapy to the many diseases like Lyme disease, insects can have both positive and negative impacts in our world. Without insects and their role in the ecosystem, a great imbalance will happen.

While this class does not directly connect to my major, this type of knowledge can be something fun I can use with my future students. This is also expanding my knowledge in the realm of science and life cycles which will be addressed in my career path. Overal, entomology has taught me a lot and I have thoroughly enjoyed gaining an appreciation for bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment