Monday, April 30, 2018

Hi my name is Madeline Murray, I originally took this class as an ACE requirement and did not expect to get much out of this class, however I was happily surprised. My absolute favorite part about this class was watching the Hornworm. I have never been a huge bug person, but the tobacco hornworm was a fascinating to watch and see it go through a complete metamorphosis.

I learned a lot about the different parts of insects which was really interesting because growing up I just assumed insects where one piece, but they actually are quite a bit more complicated than that. I also enjoyed the cockroach assignment but those still freaked me out a bit more than I would like to admit. I really liked that we got to take home these insects, because I feel the best way to learn is hands on. Looking at pictures and reading the textbook is helpful but in order to really understand things (at least in my brain) is to have hands on experience. I was unable to take the lab portion of this class this semester, so I am looking forward to taking it in the fall where I believe I will have continued hands on experience with the class material. I would really recommend this class to anyone that enjoys hands on interaction, or needs to take a science ACE. People who maybe aren’t as interested in the sciences might struggle in a class such as biology simply due to the complexity and mass volume of material required, while entomology is a learning class where you get to experience insects that you might encounter in everyday life and learn a little bit more about how they work in our ecosystem.

Taking entomology is a class that could really be enjoyable even if you aren’t the biggest fan of bugs (I know this because I don’t like bugs at all and I still really found this an enjoyable class).

No comments:

Post a Comment